+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ODES 800 UTV Review

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ODES 800 UTV Review

I looked at the BMS site and that 4 seater is from Odes.
    http://www.bmsmotor.com/side/product...).html#gallery

This is the distributor mine was shipped from:
    http://www.asctechs.com/

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great! I'm glad to see your rear end is sagging a little, like mine(don't take that the wrong way ). I've got to fix that. It drives me nuts for it to look loaded. I know it's a around 150lbs or so added, but still it's empty. Is that the factory windshield and top, or aftermarket?
    2011 Hisun 700 utv, black

Sponsored Dealer kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by civlized
    That looks great! I'm glad to see your rear end is sagging a little, like mine(don't take that the wrong way ). I've got to fix that. It drives me nuts for it to look loaded. I know it's a around 150lbs or so added, but still it's empty. Is that the factory windshield and top, or aftermarket?
    not to answer for him but factory for both, except he doesn't have the actual glass window since it broke in shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by madbare
    I looked at the BMS site and that 4 seater is from Odes.
    http://www.bmsmotor.com/side/product...).html#gallery

This is the distributor mine was shipped from:
    http://www.asctechs.com/
    yes, and some of the large atv's are from odes as well

Kelley Motorsports LLC 563-920-3412 sales@kelleymotorsports.com
    Sales, Parts, and Service www.kelleymotorsports.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it has a little sag to it. I did end up cranking the shocks up a bit to help that. Now if I could only soften the fronts a bit. I may end up taking out the rear swaybar as well. And yes, that is the factory top and windshield. The glass arrived cracked so they gave me $100 back and I brought it to a plastic shop and the custom cut me some polycarbonate.

Post Thanks / Like

yours only has a rear sway bar and no front from factory correct?

Post Thanks / Like

I removed both of my sway bars and ended up putting the rear back on. It just seemed too unstable for me with both of them off. I need to adjust my shocks, but haven't yet. Those things are a booger to turn! Sorry, I still haven't remembered to get those measurements for the trailer. I'll try to get that this afternoon and post in the other thread.
    2011 Hisun 700 utv, black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kelleymotorsports
    yours only has a rear sway bar and no front from factory correct?
    Yes, no front sway bar on the odes, only rear.

Post Thanks / Like

Well finally got out for a couple hour ride last night. I was able to get quite a ways before I ran into big snow drifts. The machine ran good, but does seem to run on the hot side, 4 out of 5 bars on the gauge on some big climbs and 2 coming back down. My can-am is the same way and it seems the fan is always running. Did some good climbs on the rocks and in the snow and this thing just chugs right through. I sure wish the front shocks were a bit softer, but on the good side of this, it helps to maintain ground clerance and I never hit one rock! It does seem that since I ride at such a high altitude I may need to look at the primary clutch and drop some weight as the RPMs just could not get where I think they should be, which is not totally surprising.
    The fix I did for the shifting seemed to help and it never jumped out of high gear. Let me tell you more about that mod. I will post some pics tonight. What I noticed is that the shift shaft that come out of the gear box has some side to side play in it. And it does make a difference from pushing it in to pulling it out. I noticed that if I adjusted the linkage and it was slid out some that if it slid in, it would be slightly different and would cause it to jump out of high or not go into neutral. What I did was put a big spring from the shift linkage near the shift shaft to the frame to keep tension in one direction of the shaft. Then what you need to do for adjustment is, always adjust for Neutral first! Once you have the Neutral, then you can see how the other gears are. What I noticed is that some of the indents on the gear selector plate are off a little. I used a file to help get them where they need to be. Now my 800 shifts correctly and it shows the correct gear on the display.
    so when I have a little more time I will try to pull the clutch cover and see how it looks in there. On this machine it looks like I need to remove the gas tank to be able to remove the cover, so that should be interesting. ;D

Some pics and video to come...

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

cant wait to see some footage of it in action.!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok here are a couple of pics from yesterday and of the shift mod I was talking about.

I also uploaded a video to FB here: https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=1963944750787
    Sorry about the quality, I just used my phone and held it in one hand and being that the trail was steep and rocky it was a bit much to hold on with one hand.
    ;D

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

that first picture should be in an ad looks like a photo shoot. haha!

Super Moderator IronRangeWheelers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep nice pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, if you ever want to come ride in Colorado, let me know and I can take you on some fun terrain!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, if you ever want to come ride in Colorado, let me know and I can take you on some fun terrain!

Steve
    Ill pick you up ADAM on the way through to Colorado..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IronRangeWheelers

Steve
    Ill pick you up ADAM on the way through to Colorado..
    I better stay here, the atv work just keeps piling up! Good thing is out of the dozen here only 1 sold and it just needed the nasty carb clean i did (the green machine *aka green carb*) LOL! i will have some info on a 500 cfmoto for everyone either next week or weekend. want to get started on it but need to work in order.

Post Thanks / Like

what now you got CfMoto stuff...
    man your kind of a supplier (w#&$e)
    lol

Post Thanks / Like

Guys,

I pulled the clutch cover tonight to see what they looked like. Well the clutches are an exact copy of the Can-am clutches. However, I have no idea what springs they are running in the primary and secondary. They seem really soft. So I have decided on getting a Dalton clutch kit for the Outlander 800 which should fit this. I am curious if anyone can anyone get these? I am also going to order up an oem secondary spring and an oem can-am belt. The belt that is on there is a Bando belt, which I never heard of, and it was not a very good fit. Here are some crappy pics from my ipod.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,
    Well it has been quite a week. Got admitted to the ER on Monday with Appendicitis and went into emergency surgery. I just got out yesterday and starting to feel myself again. Doc says to stay in bed but after a week of nothing I couldn't sit still today. All my parts showed up this week. Got the new arms put in the primary and the new springs put in. Just so you know all the can-am clutch tools work on these clutches. You absolutely need the secondary tool, just to change the belt. Everything fit as expected. I did have to buy new locknuts for the cam arm bolts. The ones on there were a really soft metal and a couple were stripped. Replaced with some stainless from Ace. That was about all I could do as my movement is really limited so didn't want to push it to far. More to come and pics too.

Post Thanks / Like

i hope everything is going well for you! that really has to suck....

did you go with a stiffer spring or what were you looking for out of it? maybe some people could get an idea of what they could do on the chazer.

get well soon

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, this really sucks and don't wish it upon anyone. I am glad to still be alive and recovering. The infection was starting to take hold and they said if I waited much longer, the outcome would have been a lot diffferent.

As far as clutching goes, I have been around snowmobiles and atv's for 25 years so I have a good understanding of how the cvt system works. Last time I was out I noticed a couple of things, not getting full shiftout rpm's and little to no engine braking. Once I pulled the clutch cover the first thing I noticed is the belt does not have the deflection and fit as compared to the can-am. See there is a one way clutch on the shaft of the primary to prevent freewheeling. The belt has to be tight to allow this feature to work. The fix, oem can-am belt. Now the shift out problem is due to a couple of things. More than likely they copied the calibration of the atv, but they are about 500lbs lighter. So you have a lot more rotational mass. To fix this you need lighter flyweights to allow the engine to spin more freely. Also having a spring that has a higher starting rate to allow for higher engagement and softer finishing rate to allow the weights to do their thing yet still provide good belt grab. I ended up using a Dalton kit that has 3 adjustable flyweights that get changed out and a different primary spring. It says for any altitude above 5000ft to run no additional weights. The last thing I did was change the secondary spring to oem. There shouldn't be anything to do in there. The cam and clutches are the same as the can-am. I changed out the spring and compared to the one that was in there and there was quite a difference in height and load.
    So once I get a little better I will get the machine back together and give a full report. I can tell as it was clutch engagement was almost at idle, about 1400rpm and highest rpm achieved was 5500rpm. This kit should bring engagement to around 2k and I should be able to see 7k+ rpm, where this engine is really making power.
    I see no reason why these parts won't work in the Hisun 800 as long as the clutches are the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, am still in recovery mode and just was able to put the clutches back together and able to take it for a quick ride around the house. One word, WOW! What a difference in performance. clutch engages a little higher, but man these changes really let the engine rev and a huge improvement in power transfer. Looks like the engine braking one way clutch is operating correctly now. Can't wait to get it out for a good run to really test it out. So if anyone is thinking about a clutch kit, the dalton is the way to go. I have some pics of the install I will upload.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of pics. The spring on the right is the Dalton and the grey one on the left is the oem from Odes. The second pic shows which arms are switched out. The Dalton kit come with great instructions so no worries there.

On a side note, I have to say the internal plastics on the odes are rather crappy. The plastic that is on the hood, dash and bed is nice and flexible and of great quality. All the other plastics like in the tub and the engine shroud are very brittle and are either broken around the screws or cracked. Not sure what I can do about that.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

So Steve, now that you've had the odes 800, would you recommend this machine over the other chinese machines? Have you had any other issues with it? I'm thinking about buying one, would do you recommend? I had the HISuN 700 and just sold it and now I'm looking to buy the odes. I like your opinion. Thanks

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Sam,
    I still do not have a lot of seat time on the Odes, but would have no problem recommending it. I really like the fact that it has the 800 v-twin engine. Also, the machine is very stout and built well. I don't have any experience with the 700 Hisun so I really cant compare directly. Do note that the Odes sits taller and wider than the Hisun. It is approx 60" wide. The basic centerline frame is the same as the Rhino, it just has longer A-arms providing more ground travel and clearance and a wider stance. Ground clearance is roughly 13". The best way to look at this is it is basically what the guys are calling a Rhintax, but from the factory. Overall I am happy with my purchase. The 2 things I am not crazy about are that the shocks are way too stiff. I am sure we can find better shocks for it, but it is just more $$$ to do that. The other thing is the plastics on the engine shroud and the inside are a bit more brittle than what I would expect. Now I am not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but I did do quite a bit a fiddling with the machine to get things adjusted the way I wanted them. For example, the shifting worked fine when I got it but it was not showing the correct gear on the indicator. This was because of 2 things, the indents on the selector are off for H and P so I had to file that and re-adjust the linkage. You may not be picky about that sort of thing, but I am and I now have it working the way it should.
    Some people may see these sort of things as a big turn off, but the way I see it, with the price point of these machines I have no issue messing with them a bit and in the end still have $$ left in my pocket to go out and have fun. Long term we will see how it lasts, but from my knowledge of other machines, this thing is built a lot more robust than many other OEMs and should put up to years of abuse!
    Keep us posted of your purchase and post pics!
    Steve ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Boy this thread is too quiet...

Been having some offline conversations with Odes USA. Looks like they have some big plans to roll out actual "Authorized Dealerships" very soon here in the US. They are committed to making a big presence in the USA and are just starting with this. They are already making improvements to this machine and will continue to do so. Look for a new website soon and you should be able to look up and order parts directly from them. I am actively giving them feedback and it is all being well received. As I find out more about what is going on I will share it here. The short term improvements on the machine are they are redesigning the windshield and steering column. More to come as I receive it. ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Is that the only changes they are doing? i just bought one and have not received it yet. i hope this turns out to be a good machine?!!!!

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sam, they are working on other things but he did not go into any details. I guess there is a world wide dealer meeting in China in October and said he should have some good updates after that. Keep us posted on when you get your machine!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Madbare,

Have you ever considered putting tracks on your Odes? Do you think it would be beneficial to have power steering for the tracks?

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have a set of track, but they are too much $$$$. I think it would be beneficial to have power steering for them. I can tell you when the machine is locked in 4WD with the front diff locked it is a bear to turn. So I can imagine having the tracks would make it even worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, i got the machine.... Having transmission linkage problems or? Cant seem to get it adjusted enough to stay into gear or go into a selected gear. Sometimes will go into park and other times it wont same with H, L ans N. Also, it runs hot!!!! The temp has been in the mid 90's and the temp gauge reads to the top and starts to flash. I hear the fan is working and no antifreeze has boiled or leaked out. It doesn't stay that hot it does cool down but it does seem to run hot not sure i like that. Has anyone had any of these issues and if so, what have you done to get them fixed. Mechanically the Odes machine is built very well. Has lots of power. Yes, the shocks are way to stiff. Cosmetically, they could do a lot better. Not a very impressed with the plastic and paint and i don't see the reason for widening the cab? There is plenty of room to have kept it the same size as the Rhino or other rhino clones. This has only caused a problem with getting after market top or back shield or a flip down windshield for the machine because of making it wider in the cab. The top needs to be redone and the plastic in the cab sucks. Too hard. Don't get me wrong.... the machine, for the price, is great. i am sure the ODES company will make some add on's and i'm sure some after market stuff will come out. I HOPE!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, as I have stated earlier in my review, you will need to mess with the linkage to get it adjusted properly, but before you do that, add the spring like I showed. This is because there is some side to side play in the shift shaft and doesnt allow for precise shifting. Once you add the spring do your adjustment and always adjust for N first. I had to then file the H and P slots slightly to get the lights to show properly.
    As far as the temp, I can tell you just like the can-am's these run hot. Do yourself a favor and replace the coolant with some good fresh know stuff. I have seen the temps bounce off the top of the gauge but I have no idea what that temp is. This is a Rhino style gauge and the temp levels may not be really correct for this engine. I was thinking of putting on a mechanical gauge to read the actual temp. Even though it runs hot, I have not had any issues with boiling over. The other thing that may help is to upgrade the fan like they are doing with the Hisun 800. Have not decided to go that route yet.
    Yes, the internal plastics, to put it bluntly, suck. They are too brittle and since there are no bushings or relief around the screw holes, they will crack with time. The hood and box plastics are great and would be nice to have that quality inside. I was told by Odes this has been a complaint too and they are going to work on improving the internal plastics. As far as the wider cab, I agree, but I think they just took this chassis from the 1000cc machine so it was not made specifically for the 800. They do have a 400cc unit floating around that has the narrower chassis. Odes is working on some add on parts to hopefully solve this issue. If you need anymore help, let me know.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, I am new to this forum but joined because I am having major issues with my new ODES 800 UTV. It arrived and the truck did not have a lift gate luckily I had it delivered to my work so I had a forklift.

The first problem was all the bolts that hold the fuel sending unit in had fallen out during shipping ( replaced bolts and problem solved). The windshield was busted out and the coolant resivoir was cracked. I fixed the resivoir but am still working with the dealer to get the windshield replaced.

I changed the engine oil out and took it for a spin afterwards. Right off the bat the unit overheated (display started flashing). I did some troubleshooting and found out that the sensor that threads into the radiator that is directly wired to the fan (sensor that tells the fan to come on) was not working. I just jumpered the fan so that it comes on as soon as the key is turned on. Basically the fan runs the whole time the unit is running. I took it for another spin and it is still overheating (as per gauge). The thermostat seems to be working properly.

I have a new sensor on its way supposedly. I figured out that if you haul ass the engine will drop back down to normal operating temp. I now have around 48 miles on it and since I still have not received a MCO (bought it on 8-11-11; received unit 4 days after) i cant drive it anywhere except private property (AZ requires you to register and insure these if you wnat to drive them on forest service roads). I needed to use one of the bays at work and drove it about 100 yards to move it (had to play of course) and the transmission starts to make a horrible noise and wont shift into 2nd gear (or any other except 1st). The transmission makes a horrible grinding noise and slips right back into 1st gear. The dealer I bought it from is flying a shift drum from china so we will see when it comes in next week if this fixes the problem. Anyone have any suggestions on solving any of these issues?

Post Thanks / Like

well, not as far along w/ getting going as you, but got one last week.

wth hell is w/ how they pack the windsheild and top? i gotta guess alot come trashed. my ws is bent and shattered; top, which was packed on top, of ws is crushed and no pigtail for lights.

weird thing. somehow they did not ship the box tilt release mechanism. huh?

haven't tuned much or even started yet don't see the radiator issue yet. still trying to find and get at all the grease zerks.

btw all out there. have prob getting premium gasoline. anyone know how much Lucus octane boost i need to get up to code on 5 gallons, 87 oct regular?

will update as progresses. thanks for feedback and preveous info

russ

Post Thanks / Like

What fluids are you using for your ODES, also have you cross referenced any K&N filter yet, oil and air? Just wandering, I'm getting deeper into my break in of the unit and have tested it through and through. Love it!!! When folks ask me what it is I just tell them ( if your rhino had testicles and they both dropped then it'd be a odes). god I love that line!!
    800cc Hisun with 26" GBC Gators, 800cc Odes with 28" GBC Gators, 2 K&N Air Filters, rear window for Hisun, New Paint on the Odes, Walker Evans Shocks for Odes, Royal Purple in both, 2 K&N oil Filters, No problems , 1200 miles on both.

Post Thanks / Like

the k&n filter number is a kn-152. i'm not sure about a air filter on the odes machine.

Post Thanks / Like

So let me get this straight, it takes the same filter for oil as the Hisun 800, but it's not separated like the Hisun (oil & tranny). So I will need oil that's designed for a wet clutch on the odes. Right?
    800cc Hisun with 26" GBC Gators, 800cc Odes with 28" GBC Gators, 2 K&N Air Filters, rear window for Hisun, New Paint on the Odes, Walker Evans Shocks for Odes, Royal Purple in both, 2 K&N oil Filters, No problems , 1200 miles on both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaser1122
    So let me get this straight, it takes the same filter for oil as the Hisun 800, but it's not separated like the Hisun (oil & tranny). So I will need oil that's designed for a wet clutch on the odes. Right?
    No the odes has seperate oil for the tranny and engine. I use 0-40 Amsoil powersports oil in the engine and Amsoil Chaincase lube in the tranny.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I've only changed the oil on this but can you send me a pic of where the tranny dipstick is? Also of the drain plug. Now I'm somewhat baffled, cause I've looked around the motor pretty well and I've bypassed it every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaser1122
    I've only changed the oil on this but can you send me a pic of where the tranny dipstick is? Also of the drain plug. Now I'm somewhat baffled, cause I've looked around the motor pretty well and I've bypassed it every time.
    Ok so this is where the Odes is different than the Hisun, but exactly the same as the can am. There are a drain plug and check plug. You fill the tranny through the vent on the top. Just pull the drain plug and let it all drain out, put it back in and pull the check plug and fill through the vent until it starts to run out of the check plug. I will see if I have a pic handy to see.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the 2 pages from the manual that show it. ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!!! I feel so blind sided!!! I read that to in my manual. F&$@": Now I'm going to have to go through with a fine tooth comb again. So go on then and lay it on me, what else do you know about this machine or find interesting. I'm looking for replacement shocks, can you recommend ant that fit???

Post Thanks / Like

Im in north idaho? does anyone know where the closest dealer is from me? Also, has anyone dealt with any warranty issues with the Odes company? I had some shipping damage and i need to get replacement floor boards. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, Who did you buy from? Start there. Mine arrived with a cracked windshield and I worked with the guy I bought it from and they handled everything.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I would but the place i bought it from closed there business. They have been around this area for awhile but i guess times are tuff so they closed last saturday for good.

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks! Try getting ahold of Odes USA and see if they can help. The guys name there is Chas.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    cant find the pictures that were posted. would like to see the product. still like the look of the odes the best. is there a dealer in west virginia or along the ohio river?

Post Thanks / Like
    how did the machine do throughout the summer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what happened to the pictures? Must have been something with the forum transfer. So far I have no real complaints. Machine runs good and strong!

Post Thanks / Like
    yep the software wouldnt let the pictures come over to the new forum.... All must be manual moved......

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi madbare, how fast does your odes 800 run? Mine has 25 inch tires and isn't broken in yet, but I don't think it's gonna hit 62 mph as odes claims. It just seems to be too low geared to me.

+ Reply to Thread