Thread: Very strong evidence that HiSun Builds for Yamaha

Post Thanks / Like

Very strong evidence that HiSun Builds for Yamaha

Found this information from http://www.utv-sc.com/

With the known main brands being common knowledge, we actually want to concentrate our subject matter on the second level of UTV products which would be the off-brands that generally all come out of China. The largest percentage of these off-brand UTVs should be avoided. Its probably much easier to layout the Chinese made off-brands that have proven to be of decent quality and reliability, plus have the technical support and spare parts to back them up if the event arises. Since we are writing this list, it is fairly short:

* Linhai UTVs (well supported and very reliable)
    * CF Moto UTVs (also well supported and excellent quality units - very reliable)
    * HiSun UTVs (at this point, there is very strong evidence that HiSun Builds for Yamaha)

To start off, Linhai of China has been manufacturing engines for Yamaha for about 8 years now. In the late 1990's, they worked with Yamaha to develop new products for Yamaha to build into their product models sold world wide. Yamaha even owns thirty percent of Linhai and keeps their QC and engineering staff on site to assist Linhai in the development of it's new engines and products. Linhai has learned a lot about product development and building quality products from their dealings with Yamaha. They are now the second most common powersports brand in China behind only CF Moto. It is because of their abilities to develop and build quality products that they now build models for the US market.

The Linhai Bighorn CUV-300 (pictured at top) is a 275cc 4WD Side-by-Side Utility Vehicle (UTV) with a liquid-cooled, 4-stroke engine. The 275cc, 4-stroke engine presents excellent power over a standard 250/300 class vehicle in a light weight, full-sized UTV while the liquid cooling provides excellent wear characteristics and thusly, longevity. The CUV-300 has a 2-speed CVT automatic transmission with Hi / Lo / Neutral / Reverse as well as shaft drive at the front and rear wheels.

The next off-brand UTV would be from HiSun. There's plenty of evidence currently that suggests HiSun actually builds parts, sub-assemblies or a substantial portion of the platform for Yamaha's Rhino. It appears that as Yamaha refines their Rhino design over the years, the same enhancements are incorporated into the HiSun version - other than the EFI system. The HiSun is such a close clone, one has to wonder in the first place. But consider the changes happening at the same time and it becomes more obvious. If HiSun was just cloning the Rhino, why would the make the same identical changes as Yamaha does year after year.

Of course, HiSun actually builds three different sizes of UTV for the world market - a 700cc, a 600cc and a 500cc. We know that the 700cc version is actually the 686cc engine from the 700 Rhino. We also know that the 500cc version is not from the 450 Rhino but rather just a necked down version of the 700cc. Same piston stroke but smaller bore. All of these models come in liquid-cooled form with a 2-speed CVT automatic and reverse. All have locking front differentials with the 4x4 function. These same drive trains are also incorporated in their large ATV models.

In early 2010, HiSun introduced a Razor clone. It's not anything that they could really be building for Polaris other than maybe some components for the drive train and electronics. It's definitely a clone in that it looks very similar at first glance but it isn't exact by any means. Matter of fact, there seems to be strong differences so we're not sure if that's an attempt to avoid patent issues or what. At any rate, the HiSun Razor clone utilizes a similar V-twin 800cc engine design as the the original Razor. Even EFI has been added to try to bring up the performance level as close as possible to the original version. Its also a liquid-cooled 2-speed CVT automatic with reverse. It's supposedly capable of speeds up to 55 mph but we'll reserve our opinions on speed until we actually drive one. Right now, they are actually pretty hard to get ahold of as they are about $3-4,000 less than the real Razor.

A really cool machine would be either the HiSun Razor clone 800cc EFI or the Yama-buggy 400cc in a single seat version. Both of these vehicles are pretty decent for two-up riding and enjoyment, but some riders are just plain interested in going fast - or fastest. And additional weight in a passenger being removed would provide a slight advantage of the two-person versions. Hopefully, someone comes up with the obvious idea soon - we're ready to go really fast again.

CF Moto has also introduced a small UTV based on their 500cc ATV engine. It's pictured at the top in the title box of the webpage - has more of a square Jeep-like front end. CF Moto has made a name for themselves in that they have a great line up of scooters, motorcycles and ATVs and are making great in-roads into the US market by building on an already strong dealer base. If they are not the number one product line coming out of China at present, then they are close behind Linhai which would be number one. Our choice would be Linhai as number one as they seem to have been at this longer - but CF Moto has a larger product line. Both produce completely unique products in their respective names. You won't find CF Moto products under another name at this time.

CF Moto also introduced a new 600cc Sport UTV (Razor clone) in February of 2010. Their Razor clone isn't as polished as the HiSun version but appears to cost more probably in consideration of better support thru CF Moto's dealer network. CF Moto is also promising an 800cc V-twin Razor clone with EFI - so the secondary market is trying to steal some of the thunder from the main brands at this point. It should be noted that there haven't been any patent lawsuits filed as of yet - but only time will tell on that issue.

We've also been made aware of a new electric UTV available from X-treme Scooters. It appears to be of decent quality and reliability - and X-treme has already built a good reputation for providing top level support for their products. Being all electric introduces several limitations (Speed, length of ride, etc) but introduces some excellent power capabilities. We wouldn't be surprised if this torquey little machine wouldn't out pull any other UTV available on the market today. If you plan to do real work, like farm work, and have larger loads to move around, this may be a good option for you.

With it being a 4x4 but still electric, load capacities are great on this UTV. It runs very much like an electric golf cart, only much more luxurious and with better capabilities. The electric motor eliminates all emissions and runs very quiet - if your need is for something of this type. We'd be very interested in one for ourselves if it was just a bunch faster. When are they ever going to gear one of these electric powered vehicles to do 80 mph? It probably would need an automatic transmission to go with it, maybe something like the CVT V-belt transmission found on many gas engines. At any rate, add a winch to go with the stock windshield and roof and this is a very useful UTV tool.

Source:http://www.utv-sc.com/

Chan Am

Re: Very strong evidence that HiSun Builds for Yamaha

Very interesting read for sure. Thanks for sharing.....

Sponsored Dealer kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

great info, wish someone really knew what was going on (if anything), but that would cause a lot of problems with the name brand companies.

Kelley Motorsports LLC • 563-920-3412 • sales@kelleymotorsports.com
    Sales, Parts, and Service • www.kelleymotorsports.com

gsf35099

This is a really great start on learning more info about these things and also makes me feel a whole lot better about the 700 Diamo I bought. No wonder I thought it was a Rhino until I got it home and really looked at it the next day.

Thanks..

Post Thanks / Like

If you think about this, It is no different that any other industry!
    Company A contracts with company B to manufacture parts or equipment for them to Name brand.
    If you tear down a clone most likely you will find parts that are used in many name brand machines.
    So maybe they are trying to take the best of what they make and put it into a single machine!

NO Brand Name has the best of everything!
    I am not sure why there is all the hubub about who owns what? Or why?
    Just dig into the machine and figure it out! We all have the parts list available to us!
    No matter if you are a dealer or not, whom ever you purchased your machine from needs to caugh up Tech info for that machne. If they do not then they are not doing their job. Just go above them to where they are purchasing the machines and let them know the product is not being represented in a favorable maner. Bottom line, every manufacture has standards that their distributors or resellers MUST adhear to.
    If US Titan does not have a service manual for repairs. Well they soon will!!
    And if nobody from there has joined this forum yet, then also. They soon will!
    By the way I am not Hacking on US Titan!!!!! Not at all!!!! They are just one of the Distribution avenues for the Hisun machines under the Supermach brand name.

I will be going to the 2011 Powersports Expo on Feb 18 for all 3 days and will talk to them in great length about the brand, parts and service support.

It may take time but this forum will grow just as the Rhino forum has. But hopefully without the bad feelings.

Pro-Tech Your Powersports of the north. Sales, Service, & Parts. 763-442-9245 www.erpowersports.com Elk River Powersports

shore

Well, the info here on the 800 efi is not accurate/

It's a 800 efi Can-Am type 800. The Can-Am top-end race kit 912cc fits. It's 55hp and will run mid to upper 60mph range GPS. The thing weighs in at 1200lbs and not the 1500lbs it says. It also uses a Can-Am type tranny and belt/clutch assembly. Springs and belts fit. reading the owners manual will only confuse you. It's about half correct.

1..It says a wet-clutch?? right...lol.
    2.. It says the engine oil circulates with the tranny...right sure..lol. Engine oil for transmission lubrication? GL5 75w-90 in there folks and in the rear diff. It does have a tranny cooler though.

The 800 uses a Hilliard style front magnetic diff. No GL5 in that guy. Polaris Demand Drive Plus. Hilliard even says it look exactly like theirs and are not pleased. The bearings and splines are the same as polaris also. Axle length will be different.

A lot the switch gear is the same as a rhino. The 2wd/4wd switch is the exact same as are the hubs at 4/110. The key switch etc etc.

The EFI is a Delphi unit, very similar to what Harley-Davidson gets for their efi system. It uses 4-wire heated 02 sensors with a open and closed loop system. These units are lean just like the Harleys for emissions.

rmattzz4

They are also wrong about the Rhino clone. The engines are not Yamaha 700 copies they are all 660 copies with a bigger bore. HiSun does not update their sxs's at the same time Yamaha does either. The Rhino clones on the market today are copied from 2006 model Rhinos at best with a few differences. They have copied Yamaha's old technology. I also call into question the statment that "you wont find CF Moto products under any other name brand" the engine in the HISUN 500 is a CF Moto engine. Its the same engine that was used in the Ruesch 500 which was a CF Moto engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha's Old technology! Wow! So does that mean the Yamaha of 2006 was not up to par?
    Have you really looked at the Yamaha of 2006 and 2011?
    There is almost no difference! Go look at parts from the 2006 Rhino 660 to the 2011 Rhino 700 and compare parts!
    Sure the engine is different, check the rest.

Pro-Tech Your Powersports of the north. Sales, Service, & Parts. 763-442-9245 www.erpowersports.com Elk River Powersports

Sponsored Dealer kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

all they have basically done is added some wheel spacers and changed the engine and capped the speed. watch here

http://www.youtube.com/user/dirttrax.../0/w33M_RXYtrc

Kelley Motorsports LLC • 563-920-3412 • sales@kelleymotorsports.com
    Sales, Parts, and Service • www.kelleymotorsports.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it be great to get them to do a side by side comparison! But unfortunately that could never happen!

Post Thanks / Like

The engine in the hisun 500 is not a cfmoto engine. I have experience with both units and they are totally two different designs.

Sponsored Dealer 231 Motorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with bigjg, the 500 chino powerplant is very similar to a 450 yamaha, the cfmoto engine is a suzuki clone if I remember correctly
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)683-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

rmattzz4

I never said Yamaha was burning up the technology tree with the Rhino. True they are basically the same machine but there are some differences, enough to make a 2011 Rhino better than a 2006. Sorry if i offended any dealers here. This is just the opinion of an average consumer. I've got nothing against chino's, the dealers, or the people who buy them. I think the Rhino is WAY overpriced for what you get, that goes for any name brand utv. When I was in the market for a utv I refused to pay the new prices. The chinos are in the right price range in my opinion they just need to work on their quality control.

Post Thanks / Like

I am deffinetly not offended by your opinion. everyone is intitled to their own. What did you end up buying?
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)683-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

rmattzz4

I ended up finding a really clean 04 Rhino in my price range. I almost bought a Hisun 700 but I will end up modding the hell out of anything I buy and the fuel injection system on the 700 seems to be a mystery. Carbs are easier to deal with. If that Odes 800 would have been on the market I would have bought one of those. That thing is everything I was wanting in a utv. A Rhino chassis with POWER!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad to hear you got a deal on what you wanted , the carb models deffinetly offer more mod. possibilities currently. Is this the part where I'm supposed to tell you real rhinos are japanese junk , and say several things that are supposed to make you mad? ;D I honestly can't say that I will ever be upset over someone elses purchase , just have fun with it , and keep us posted.

rmattzz4

Ya know, by the time i'm done with it there won't be many parts left that are actually Yamaha. I mainly bought for the platform to build what i want. Who knows where this project will end up. Thats another reason I couldn't bring myself to buy a new Rhino and hack it to pieces and another good reason to buy hisun, the platform is there and all the aftermarket parts fit, and it's affordable.