+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HiSun 400 UTV

Sponsored Dealer AffordableSideBySides's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

HiSun 400 UTV

I now have the HiSun 400 UTV in stock. I am real impressed with all that this machine offers with an MSRP of $5299. It has a 392cc engine producing within 1HP of what the 500 EFI does! This unit also has a bench seat that is contoured simulating "buckets" for the driver and passenger. The bed is huge and made of steel. It shifts real smooth and gives you all of the major features such as 4wd with a differential lock and independent suspension at all 4 corners. I personally feel that this is the best value on the market!
    The Maine dealer for HiSun Powersports Products.

Sponsored Dealer kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HiSun 400 UTV

post some pics when you get a chance

Kelley Motorsports LLC 563-920-3412 sales@kelleymotorsports.com
    Sales, Parts, and Service www.kelleymotorsports.com

Super Moderator IronRangeWheelers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that would be a machine my mom and dad would be happy with. Mostly the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some photos of the 400. It is great for a farm or working around the yard! And is a decent trail machine too with independent rear suspension.

Post Thanks / Like

they look like they would be a descent machine, especially for the price. damn cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a real nice machine for doing chores around the property

Post Thanks / Like

So do you know what parts well work on it.... I Bet i could sell the crap out of those...
    what kinda of speed do these things do??

IRW

Post Thanks / Like

Uses mostly all of the same chassis parts we are used to dealing with. I almost see some similarities to the 800 as well. The shocks look like the 800 shocks and the chassis is short and narrow like the 800. I am not sure where they stole the motor, it is a 392cc Carb unit. It isn't as cold blooded as the other carb models though. I haven't had up to top speed yet. But I am thinking 35-40 is a reality.

Post Thanks / Like

be great to see this thing in action. the only problem i have it that its an exclusive design, and with the other models i know i have 3 or 4 places i can get parts from if the others don't have it. give it a run and give us some feedback, might consider an even cheaper econo line just dont get any cheaper than this.

Post Thanks / Like

so has your customers been happy with the 400 so far??

Post Thanks / Like

So far people are loving these machines. I am careful to make sure that the 400 fits their needs before sending them away with one. They do not have low range, so I don't recommend them for heavy pulling or plowing snow, but they are great for yard work, trail riding, and light farm use.

Post Thanks / Like

No low??
    That stinks. Sure people would like to use it to plow

Post Thanks / Like

i see smoked belts in your future ;D

Post Thanks / Like

I would describe the machines as running in a mid-range. As long as people use them properly, I hopefully won't be seeing too many roasted belts!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've just ordered one of these and want to do some modifications to it.

Does anyone know if they are the same chassis / engine / suspension design as the 500 Rhino clone?

And does anyone think the Rhino performance suspension upgrades would fit?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    The 400 is a completely different chassis than the Rhino chassis. I am 90% sure that Grizzly 350 Clutch components will interchange. As far as suspension mods go, the rhino lift kits may work, however I can't say for sure. The control arms and components are different than the Rhino. Enjoy your new machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the reply. I'll look into the grizly clutch, it would be nice to get a Dr Pulley style upgraded clutch in it.

My 400 arrives next week, I'm having a little buyers remorse that I should have bought the 500 as I would like to modify suspension etc

After reading your first post here it sounded like you really like the 400 plus I wanted a bench seat for three people so I bought one!

Please reassure me!! haha I guess I'll be the first one to modify a 400 then!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will be happy with your 400! The only major complaint with me is that it does not have low range. Therefore you might not have enough power for extreme operations. But overall the 400's are a great value. They are faster than you would expect for a 400 too. I have had one up to 44-45 mph. Where are you located anyway?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Australia, I live on a long beach and next to a forest, so I want to strap surfboards or fishing rods on the roof and take the kids for rides up the beach and explore some forest trails nearby.

I won't be plowing snow or towing anything, just fun with the kids.

I was originally looking at buying a offroad buggy gokart but decided a 4x4 would be better on soft beach sand, plus the bench seat means I can take two kids for rides. I have also ordered a rumble seat for the tray bed to take any extra friends for a ride

45mph is great! Though I'd only do that without kids in the back!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Sounds to me like you picked the perfect machine for your application! I was going to say that I would take it in trade if it doesn't work for you, but your slightly too far off for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a photoshop version of what I want it to look like

modified 400.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Eventually I'd love to get some SS rims and 28" tyres like this. Hopefully with a 2" suspension lift, 2" wheel spacers and maybe lift the front hood up 2" I can get this desired look. The rear tray bed looks like it sits nice and high so should have good clearance at the back

400 modded.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the size of the bed on the 400! I still max out at 35mph on my 500efi though. I still don't understand how all you guys are getting 45-55 on these, 35 is fine for me, but.....

Post Thanks / Like
    did you ever check your throttle adjustment?

Post Thanks / Like
    You beat me to it Adam! I was going to mention that as well. I learned that with the first machine I purchased. I have adjusted throttle cables while performing services and the customers are amazed at the gains!

Post Thanks / Like
    I adjusted the idle and it did not increase max speed, just made it difficult to shift! I adjusted the shift cable to fix that, but still max out at 35. The dealer had it for a few days and changed the fuel pump (to fix the gas gague) but I forgot about the throttle issue.
    Last edited by tucker33; 03-15-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker33 View Post
    I adjusted the idle and it did not increase max speed, just made it difficult to shift! I adjusted the shift cable to fix that, but still max out at 35.

What Adam means is you need to adjust the slack out of the throttle cable itself.
    You may not be opening the butterfly in the carb all the way.

Or when you did this is that when the idle changed?

Pro-Tech Your Powersports of the north. Sales, Service, & Parts. 763-442-9245 www.erpowersports.com Elk River Powersports

Post Thanks / Like
    No I adjusted the throttle where the connection has the two nuts. Adam posted a photo in another post I wasn't sure what the bottom circle was, so I just made the one adjustment. Sorry, I keep jumping in on everyone else's posts, I guess it's not a big deal for me, but you guys keep making me wonder.....
    Last edited by tucker33; 03-15-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Sponsored Dealer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Throttle adjustment is done near carb on the throttle cable housing itself. You want to make the cable housing longer until the throttle opens as far as it can BUT still closes. You also need some play in the cable itself at idle. The easiest way is to get in, reach down, and pull(bend) the gas pedal out. It seems wrong but it works awesome. You dont have to bend it to far so dont get carried away. What happens is the pedal does not have enough throw to open throttle all the way. Always check throttle operation before you start engine also.

Redline Sport and Marine Inc.
    Sales, Parts, and Service-All Makes and Models
    906-563-1450 Norway MI 715-696-6789 Spread Eagle WI redline.motorsports@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so do I pull from the top of the pedal or bottom? The cable does not seem to have much play in it (room) but the cable ties are pretty tight too.

Sponsored Dealer
    Post Thanks / Like
    pull from the bottom-you want to make the pedal travel farther before it contacts the floorboard-again dont get carried away.

Redline Sport and Marine Inc.
    Sales, Parts, and Service-All Makes and Models
    906-563-1450 Norway MI 715-696-6789 Spread Eagle WI redline.motorsports@hotmail.com

Sponsored Dealer 231 Motorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cable ties won't have anything to do with the slack that they are talking about. The "slack" is the travel of the accelerator pedal that does not affect the engine speed. The last 500 I sold had quite a bit of slack that I took out when doing the assembly and pdi.
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)683-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! I gotta go away for a few but I'll try it when I get back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just came from a local Menards here in Mi. and they now have this 400 badged under the Yard Machine name.(or something like that) By the looks of it, it has the roof, windshield, winch and aluminum wheels for $5,999. My concerns are, not a real dealer, no low range? and the tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was it a yard sport?
    2011 Hisun 800 Snorkeled,Spectre air filter,Hard doors,aluminum roof,EJK Fuel controller,LC-1 Wide-band, 4 LED gauge cluster,26" Rip Saws,Pro wheels,Sway-bars removed,Wheel spacers,Rear cage/bumper/spare holder,Rear Radiator,full alum skids,Fender Flares,Fan under seat,Pillow block ft.drive shaft,Reverse limiter switch,quick batt.charging,Po-Tech's auto type Alt.system,Can-Am outlander clutches,G-Force belt,425 progressive Shocks,HID's,Glove box. still adding & spending.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could have been. I was mainly looking for the manufactures tag on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    May be an older video but it's a wonder they are put together as well as they are and run. Wonder they keep all the parts straight. http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...fG0Po&vq=large

Post Thanks / Like
    superwolv,
    I just purchased one of the "yardsport 400 XLT'S" from menards yesterday, with roof, windshield, winch, and aluminum wheels for $5999. topped out out around 45 put it to work immediatley aroudn the yard and was very happy. the parking break would not stay engaged and I called menards this morning and spoke with the same guy who sold it to me he is ordering a new parking brake assembly and told me to swing by in a week or so and he would take care of it. I don't konw if that will be the same from menards to menards but i was very happy with the guy at the sedalia mo menards. He told me that "rumor has it" since John Menard is on the board of directors at polaris that these things are being assemble at the polaris assembley line here in the US. Anyone konw any facts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Adding to my previous comment the guy at menards said these were HiSuns handled by a company out of Carrollton, TX for Menards, and these were not from the same company that was providing the Yardsport YS200.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by plancaster4242 View Post
    Adding to my previous comment the guy at menards said these were HiSuns handled by a company out of Carrollton, TX for Menards, and these were not from the same company that was providing the Yardsport YS200.
    Wow! I know there is a Hisun facility in Carrollton, TX.
    Imagine that!

Pro-Tech Your Powersports of the north. Sales, Service, & Parts. 763-442-9245 www.erpowersports.com Elk River Powersports

Post Thanks / Like
    Plancaster4242
    Glad your very happy with your YS400 so far. Good that they're taking care of your parking break issue. I would hope all Menards would have the same kind of service. What if you had to take it in for more serious service? Did it come with any kind of warranty? I haven't talked to anyone at Menards about them yet. How does it do on hills? No low range, right? Wonder if they will start to carry the other Hisun's like Cabela's. But only a lot cheaper than Cabela's I would hope. I wouldn't think with a name like Polaris that they would want anything to do with China ones. But what do I know. I'm sure pro Tech is right and they come out of a Hisun facility in TX. I'll have to get the low down on what Menards plans are for the Hisun models and see if my Menards is honest about who makes them even though I already know. Maybe this year they'll have a 12% off sale like the 11% ones last year.
    Enjoy your new toy. Keep us posted on how it holds up for you.

superwolv,
    I just purchased one of the "yardsport 400 XLT'S" from menards yesterday, with roof, windshield, winch, and aluminum wheels for $5999. topped out out around 45 put it to work immediatley aroudn the yard and was very happy. the parking break would not stay engaged and I called menards this morning and spoke with the same guy who sold it to me he is ordering a new parking brake assembly and told me to swing by in a week or so and he would take care of it. I don't konw if that will be the same from menards to menards but i was very happy with the guy at the sedalia mo menards. He told me that "rumor has it" since John Menard is on the board of directors at polaris that these things are being assemble at the polaris assembley line here in the US. Anyone konw any facts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    It came with a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty. They have only had them in stock for about 2 weekds and they are planning to contract with a local powersports shop for service/warranty work,but for now there is a shop that is 30 minutes away that I call on to for any major fixes i might need.
    no low range but does have 4x4 and diff lcok. for a 400, the hills did slow it some. I climbed over 8 -10" curbs really easy in two wheeel drive while test driving it in the menards parking lot. hills seem to be a slow down but did not bog. put it into a ditch to try and get stuck but was able to manuver out just fine.

They had 3 models to choose from
    entry level ys400 $4999
    ys 400 xlt ( which I puchased) $5999
    and the 700 $6999

I am a novice by every meaning of the word but this seemed like the best bang for my buckfor the light work/play that I will give this machine. better than the $12000 ++ for a rhino

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, so it sounds like they are carrying the 700 Hisun? The Menards here only had one 400 out front for the $5,999 along with those worthless littler ones. But I suppose what they carry might have something to do with locations. What did the 700 come with for $6999? If it comes with all the stuff the 400 does than that's comparable to a crated price one. I'll have to look into it deaper when we go to Menards this weekend again. I'd sure want to know who assembles them and what was done when it was. I'd need one with a low range so it would less likely smoke the belt for the sandy routes where I'd ride with pretty sandy hills and more than likely set it up for plowing also. I'm pretty much a novice also but seen and read enough. In fact, I don't even own a UTV....yet. Have a 500 China quad for about 4 years now which has done fine on the trails and for plowing. I don't beat the hell out of my toys either. They're not meant to be a submarines. Probably why some wonder why they break. Be true for any brand. Know what you mean about the price difference from a name brand. I just can't see paying more for any UTV than I did for for a brand new car and you'll never get 100,000+ miles out of a UTV. And let me tell you, Mi roads are probably worse than some trails.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't even consider the 700 because I went planning to spend less that $5000. I did notice that it has bucket seats as opposed to bench seats and the bench seat was a must for us since we have little ones that will riding between us.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't even consider the 700 because I went planning to spend less that $5000. I did notice that it has bucket seats as opposed to bench seats and the bench seat was a must for us since we have little ones that will riding between us.
    Sounds like you got what will will work best for you. Got to keep the little ones safe in a seat. The 500,700 800 Hisun's have bucket seats.
    Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone answer why my hisun 400 would say that it requires 93 octane fuel and it is crucial that you give it 93 octane fuel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi plancaster, and welcome to the forum. Though I don't have any experience with your particular machine, I think I can explain it to you somewhat, and if I should lead you astray I'm sure one with much more knowledge than me will straighten me out! lol Usually, the higher the compression ratio is for an engine, the higher octane fuel the engine will require. In the old days, you could retard the ignition timing a little and get away with running the cheaper and hence lower octane fuels, however, with the solid state ignition systems today, usually the timing isnt even adjustable. The 400 has a compression ratio of about 9.3 to 1, and apparently they feel that preignition (spark knock) will be a problem with the lower grade fuels. Most people don't realize it, but spark knock can be a very serious problem, and could potentially knock a hole in a piston, damage bearings, and basically destroy an engine if allowed to persist. Wow, I didn't mean to get so long winded. Just my opinion here, but many of the rec vehicles out there have even higher compression ratios than yours, (the Odes is 10.3 to 1) so I would think that with a mid-grade you would probably be ok, but don't take my word for it. I know there are a number of octane booster additives on the market that you could probably blend in with the lower grades and you would probably be ok. Hopefully, some of the more experienced guys on here will chime in and give you their recommendations. Once again, welcome, enjoy your machine, have fun, and above all be safe!

Post Thanks / Like
    The 800 calls for 93 octane too but I run 91 with an ethonol treatment with no problems and over 1850 miles on it so far. Usually the higher octanes don't have as much ethonal in them and ethonal causes some problems especially if it's over 2 weeks old.

Post Thanks / Like
    I run 89 octane 100% Gas with no problems at all.
    2011 Hisun 800 Snorkeled,Spectre air filter,Hard doors,aluminum roof,EJK Fuel controller,LC-1 Wide-band, 4 LED gauge cluster,26" Rip Saws,Pro wheels,Sway-bars removed,Wheel spacers,Rear cage/bumper/spare holder,Rear Radiator,full alum skids,Fender Flares,Fan under seat,Pillow block ft.drive shaft,Reverse limiter switch,quick batt.charging,Po-Tech's auto type Alt.system,Can-Am outlander clutches,G-Force belt,425 progressive Shocks,HID's,Glove box. still adding & spending.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has to do with the EPA certificate, In order to get the rating it did they had to use 93 octane fuel with no ethanol or methanol added. So they put those labels and warnings on there so won't have trouble with the EPA. The only possible problem with using ethanol or methanol in fuel is it burns hotter, in a worst case it would damage valves and valve seats if they are not hardened. Just about all Engines made today have hardened valves and seats.

+ Reply to Thread