Thread: new massimo 700 utv is home, slight problem

Post Thanks / Like

new massimo 700 utv is home, slight problem

Just picked up 2011 Massimo(Hisun) 700 utv. Ran flawlessly at dealer. Not sure if I put it in reverse. Ran it very briefly. It was 24 degrees with high winds and freezing drizzle and snow. I drove it out of shop in 2 high,checked 4 high with diff lock and 4 low with diff lock,all good.Paid for utv while it was parked outside. One of the guys from shop loaded it on my trailer while i backed up. Got home after 30 min drive,windshield frozen over. Backed off trailer ok, drove to barn and it's cutting out. Looked at dash and H and R lights are both on. Only way to shut off R light is to put it in 4wd. It quits cutting out in 4wd also. Hopefully, stuff just got frozen on the interstate. Dealer was closing early due to weather. I parked it in the warm garage to see if this fixes things.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new massimo 700 utv is home, slight problem

Better after thawed in garage, ran it up to mailbox, about a quarter mile, and back. No cutting out, only problem now is reverse light never came on when i backed up at mailbox. I'll call dealer tomorrow.

Tom

Sponsored Dealer kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

any update on the new 700? have you checked all electrical connections?

Kelley Motorsports LLC 563-920-3412 sales@kelleymotorsports.com
    Sales, Parts, and Service www.kelleymotorsports.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess it's some better. Now the reverse light doesn't come on at all. Apparently common on the real Rhino too. Supposed to be a faulty reverse sensor located under the airbox. But,I unplugged the wire running to that location and nothing changed(should have made the light come on). Grounding it should make it go off. It may already be grounded between there and the ecm. I'll try to look more closely after it warms up. I don't really like the airbox design at all,it's got 4 or 5 screws holding the lid on(no clips). And it's completely wedged under the shifter. I'm not real sure i can change the filter in my garage,let alone out in the field. I'm for sure not removing the entire airbox, I'll take it back to the dealer first. Otherwise it runs great, and no reverse rev limiter(which I like). As long as it doesn't start coming on again in forward, I may leave it as is.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the reverse switch connects to ground when made. So pulling off the wire indicates an "open" or not in reverse. Ground the wire and the reverse light should come on.

2011 SuperMach 500 EFI

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, i swear i read it the other way on the Rhino. Supposedly the sensor lifts the ground , which somehow makes the indicator light come on. I know the actual light has to be grounded to work. People with rhino's ground the green/white wire to bypass the reverse rev limiter,but they lose the reverse light. It can't hurt to try though, I'll try it tomorrow.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I have not ohmed out the switch but the schematic shows a normally open switch. #12 is the reverse switch. If I get a chance I'll ohem it out later tonight.

2011 SuperMach 500 EFI

Post Thanks / Like

awesome, you maybe right. I'm at work, but I think the actual rhino wiring shows the circuit closed normally. And I agree the one on the clones looks open. The service manuals are nearly identical. The wires are even the same color. It's obvious that they just copied a rhino one, or maybe they are made in the same place.

Post Thanks / Like

That is from the Rhino manual And yes they are 99.9% identical even down to the manuals. The schematic for the Hisun is less clear that why I used the Rhino ;D
    2011 SuperMach 500 EFI

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you're a pretty resourceful fella, Joe. It's gonna be nice to have you around here.
    2011 Hisun 700 utv, black

Post Thanks / Like

Still no reverse light when i ground the green/white wire. can't find any loose connections anywhere. I really can't figure out why, when the only time the problem happened, putting it in 4wd would have anything at all to do with the reverse light going off. It runs fine otherwise. I changed the oil today. More snow. Gonna change the front and rear diff fluid tomorrow. Hopefully put some break in miles on it. I know I'm getting old,but this thing is really hard to work on. I assume the rhino is just the same. There's a wire loom in front of the oil fill plug,I had to drop the plastic underplate to even see the front diff, and it's got as many relays and wires as my duramax.I have no idea how to drain the radiator. I know, grumpy old man, shoulda stuck with a horse.
    tom

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe one of the pro's can make a sticky on how it is recommended to drain the radiator.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be nice, changed front diff lube, it looked just like the stuff I put in. Motor oil, on the other hand, was some nasty looking smelly stuff. Rear diff is way easier to get at. Gonna have to wait on it, spilled too much filling front. Rode it for about thirty minutes in the snow, plenty of power, no problems at all. Think I'm gonna quit worrying about the reverse light for now and just use it. Only found one loose bolt(front diff) so far. I'll recheck em soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomascw
    That would be nice, changed front diff lube, it looked just like the stuff I put in. Motor oil, on the other hand, was some nasty looking smelly stuff. Rear diff is way easier to get at. Gonna have to wait on it, spilled too much filling front. Rode it for about thirty minutes in the snow, plenty of power, no problems at all. Think I'm gonna quit worrying about the reverse light for now and just use it. Only found one loose bolt(front diff) so far. I'll recheck em soon.
    So how tough was it changing the front dif oil? What oil did you use?

Sponsored Dealer 231 Motorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a couple of ways to address the coolant change
    1 use a siphon pump to draw out the coolant from the radiator cap and over flow , then refill with straight antifreeze
    2 pull the lower hose (passenger side) and drain the over flow

A system filled 50/50 will protect in most any condition , however if more is what you're after , these are the easiest ways to resolve the issue , messy but easy
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)683-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

Post Thanks / Like

keep in mind if you're in cold conditions you need to mix the antifreeze 50/50 to be protected to -34 degrees. pure antifreeze could freeze above 0 degrees. easy thing to do is buy a hydrometer for $5 and check where you're at in the beginning. we flushed the antifreeze to ensure it was all out. most of the antifreeze that comes out of these machines and the atvs we have had for the last 5 years have always been fine but we have still changed anyways. had several customers bought online and never changed it and never had a problem and its down to -30 degrees some winters here and they are farmers and run things hard.
    in the end if you can't flush it, at least get the hydrometer and double check where you are.

Post Thanks / Like

it wasn't really difficult,just awkward to get at. Had to remove front skid plate(7 of the 9mm bolts). Then draining was simple. To refill I used 2 flex funnels.I bought a little plastic one at tractor supply for $1,it fits right into fill hole. Then i used a metal flex funnel into that(between bumper and hood). I used mobil 1 synthetic 75/90 gl5 limited slip.The little funnel fit so tight that i overfilled a little, just let it drain out fill hole.

231 motorsports, I'll try the siphon pump, can't find a petcock on radiator. supposed to be drain on water pump, not sure i can reach that very easily though. I think I'll test what is in there first.Typing at same time.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

KMS is correct on the staight antifreeze actually freezing quicker than a mix . Thanks for posting that , it should have been in my posting , I was speaking of adding after siphoning the radiator out to increase the ratio of antifreeze to water. Most of all we have receieved have been fine , but it is always something to check. One thing for sure the chinese wont warranty a busted block due to freezing.
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)683-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

Post Thanks / Like

have to agree with 231, things of that nature should always be checked due to the nature of our climate. by the way, what ever happen to global warming? lol its going to be below 0 temps for 3 or 4 days here this week i heard!

number last

i HAVE HAD A MASSIMO 500 FOR ALMOST A YEAR. i HAVE PUT A LITTLE OVER 600 HARD MILES OF RIDDING IN THE MUD ON IT. JUST NOTICED THE RIGHT REAL SEAL LEAKING AFTER LAST MUD RIDE. iT'S A LITTLE TOO HIGH GEARED. i NEED TO PUT A CLUTCH KIT IN IT. oON LEVEL GROUND IT RUNS ABOUT 46 MILES AN HOUR BUT TAKES AWHILE TO GET UP THERE. i HAVE HAD IT UP TO 51 ON THE ROAD ON A DOWN GRADE. tHE SPEED OMETER LIGHTS DONT COME ON WHEN YOU TURN THE LIGHT ON AND THE GEAR SHIFTER LIGHTS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN MESSED UP. i THINK IT IS IN THE WIREING HARNESS AND THE GUYS I BOUGHT MINE FROM WHERE FAIRLY NEW AND DONT THINK IT WAS THE WIREING WAS PLUGGED JUST RIGHT. wHEN I TAKE IT IN TO GET WORKED ON IT TAKES FOREVER FOR PARTS TO COME. iT'S HARD SHIFTING INTO LOW AND REVERSE SOMETIMES AND I HAVE ADJUSTED THE ROD. oVER ALL I WOULD SAY IM HAPPY WITH THE MACHINE JUST NOT THE SERVICE I GET WITH IT. i AM CONSIDERING MY WARRENTY OVER AND GONNA MAKE REPAIRS MYSELF. iT IS JUST EASIER THAT WAY AND I THINK I CAN DO A BETTER JOB THEN THE SMALL DEALER I BOUGHT IT FROM. iF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT SIZE CLUTCH KIT ( SPRING AND WEIGHTS) I NEED TO GET LET ME KNOW. i DONT NO IF I SHOULD TRY RHINO 450 660 OR 700

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a 500 it takes 450 rhino parts , check out hunterworks , they modified a variator and installed overdrive sliders to give it more low end , and more high end. If your indicators don't work m there is a wire harness plug on the passenger side by the dipstick , I can't remember if it's the round one , or square , but I had a unit that wouldn't show high indicator and it was a loose connection from the engine harness. Mud / water in the belly pan will make this problem worse. Cleaning it and sealing it will deffinitely help with your problem.