Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hyosung ranch pony owners

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

hyosung ranch pony owners

think i have finally found the starting and some times stalling problem ( i hope) did the new vacuum line also the check valve on fuel tank vent, still was having an occasional no start, checked the choke as per one other post, seemed ok, however i do not use the choke, if i do i know it will definitely not start, ok, now to the good news, last Saturday (no start) i went to the Yamaha dealer and purchase a new NGK 6 iridium plug...has not missed a stroke since. Thought I was rich because of the 4500' altitude that i live in and also play at about 6500' will keep all interested folks that care posted as per my results..ps, also had a problem each time i pulled into my shop to put it away for the day, it would backfire ..or pop..not anymore...so far, Ron in Idaho

Sponsored Dealer 231 Motorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes the most simple fixes give the most trouble. I fought a 500 hisun for for 2 days to figure out the spark plug had a cracked insulator. It ran fine, but occasionally would hesitate. It made me mad to have struggled so hard to find it , but glad to get it fixed.
    231 Motorsports LLC. (812)683-3606 Parts for your atv , no matter what brand it is ! Even if you can't pronounce it! Also the areas only Argo amphibious atv dealer

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron I hope that's a permanent fix for your Pony, I really like the Ranch Pony but I'm leery about the problem getting spare parts.

Sponsored Dealer kelleymotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    keep us updated on the rig. i will try to help out when i can just as everyone will.

Kelley Motorsports LLC 563-920-3412 sales@kelleymotorsports.com
    Sales, Parts, and Service www.kelleymotorsports.com

5. Thanks oldfartfighter thanked for this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the reply's, yes i also worry about parts, as stated before waited 3 months for front differential seal and have waited 4 + months for the replacement CD player, however this is not a problem you cant hear it anyway, just a sales gimmick. will keep all inform as to how it is running or if anything else come up. Hopefully I can just use it as intended without worry.

Overall it is a good machine, great ride, shifts very easy and i can put 6-7 hundred lbs. of split fire wood in the bed, and it handles it very well. I did apply Rhino liner epoxy/shredded rubber coating to the bed when new and it is still looking great after hauling about 10 loads of fire wood and many bales of hay, good investment, about $60.00 and a couple of hours of prep and application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfartfighter View Post
    I did apply Rhino liner epoxy/shredded rubber coating to the bed when new and it is still looking great after hauling about 10 loads of fire wood and many bales of hay, good investment, about $60.00 and a couple of hours of prep and application.
    Good idea Ron, I put bed liner on my truck and will definitely use it when I get my UTV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron, I have the backfire pop also and starting issues once in a while. Picked up the new plug today am going to give it a try before riding tommorow. The radio in mine lasted less than a week. No cover or waterproofing at all. Agree just advertising gimmick. Found a lightbar on ebay I'm installing tommorow. Looks like it will fit wit little or no mods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you had any problems with overheating. My cooling fan did not work at all and my unit would over heat. Found out two wires in the plug were backwards. Switched the wires and fan came on in minutes. No more problems. It was from the factory like that. With your climate it may not even effect you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    My fan does work, however the 12V power plug was also wired backwards.

Hope the new plug helps, I have been starting numerous time a day for over a week now with no problems and the POP is gone. Keeping fingers crosed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got a YXQUAD X5 Ranch Pony,fan does not work, 4x4 wont engage,Wayne from KMS isn't much help, he sent me three new relays,still no fan or 4x4.I checked all connections ,fuses.The 4x4 worked first couple days but now it wont.I had the Manufactor BMS in Cal assemble it and delivered here in Florida.I cant find am American oil filter although some one suggested a FramPH4386,I tried that filter and it leaked because the oil filter female thread in side hits the oil filter stud before it gets tight.Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Kelley motorsports sent me this list of oil filters for my ranch pony.

just getting back to you. the original filter should be a JX0604 3/4-16 thread. you can run the following filters without any mods to the machine.

Napa 1396
    Wix 51396
    Mobil1 M1-103
    AC Delco PF1233
    K&N HP-1003

hope this helps!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    bullpin, welcome to the forum, Now, about KMs and their inept service person Wayne, he does not know crap about the pony, do not think he has ever seen one, they are drop shippers, have emailed them many times since receiving mine to no avail.
    I, now am into my 5th month of trying to get the bugs gone, check my last few few post for solved problems. Always open for comment. Good luck, it has all the great quality's of a s/s but needs to be de-bugged
    Ron, Salmon, Id
    Ron/I
    Last edited by RhinoClones; 03-05-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Forum Rule Violation

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks oldfartfighter,I will have to wait till NAPA opens tomorrow for the filter.I might have fixed the fan the black wire came out of the plug under the battery box.I have talked with Chris and he has been helpful .Wayne just talks down to you and acts like he will hel.He is australian but lives in China.He was real helpful he sent me wiring diagrams and what each fuse supplies because my manual was wrong.I am still waiting for the relay diagram.I really like the machine but I found out its tough for customer support when you by on the internet.They dont even have a service manual.The Marketing guy also sent me the valve adjusting proceedure.I will post it to this thread if I can figureout how to
    Last edited by RhinoClones; 03-05-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Forum Rule Violation

15. Likes oldfartfighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the NAPA oil filter did not work.Same problem.filter thread hole hits mounting union bolt before the seal can tighten.Talked to Adam at KellyMS and is working on a solution.I unscrewed the union bolt and found out it is a reduced fitting 1/2" to 3/4".Still have not figured out the 4x4 engaging problem.Went to change oil in rear differential and cant find where to put lube back in.The allen head drain plug is reachable but can not find refill plug.marys bday 017.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know which of these relays controls what?2011 Hyosung 500 Ranch Ponymarys bday 017.jpg#3 is the 4x4 relay
    Last edited by bullpin451; 02-09-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: updated information

Post Thanks / Like
    i never did receive the picture? my e-mail is listed just below my post if you need it. have you checked for power down to the 4wd motor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bullpin / Ron,
    Does your motor have a slight chatter to it, I've been wondering if my timing is off or is it just this motor. Runs great top and bottom end. Just wondering about this noise at idle. What does your unit idle at? Mine is 1200 to 1400. If I set it lower it will go dead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Grudun,No chatter here

Post Thanks / Like
    oil.jpgthis is the uniooil.jpg bolt we talked about

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The filler is the plug is the one with the wire attached at the rear, still do not know what it is, looks like a oil drain plug magnet ??
    Also i have my idle set at about 1600. if you go higher the tranny will grind when engaging. found this to be about right.
    keep us posted as to the filter fix, ok ?

Post Thanks / Like
    For future reference I did find out the relay I labeled 3 is the 4x4 relay.I turned key to on position and pressed the button on the dash and heard it try to engage.Chris BMS send to remove the unit and send it to him for a replacement.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    bullpin, thanks, will put this in manual, also hope you do not have to wait 3-4 months for this part.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new plug seems to have made a big difference. Starts faster, no pop at shut off and seems to run smoother. Put the #6 iridium in there.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    glad it worked for you, hard to believe that $6 made that much difference, my old #7 plug had the proper chocolate color to it that is why i was so confused, glad i tried a different one..guess you also, yup

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    bullpin, forgot to ask, do you know what the other relays control ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this same comment in another Hyosung thread today. It has to do with the negative comments i get from many people about purchasing a Chinese made utv, many of them that have Rhinos, Kawasaki , etc,

Growing up in the post WW2 50,s, if you purchase a product from Japan you were ostracized for that. Now it is perfectly ok to buy from Japan.

Now to my next comment, China did not bomb Pearl Harbor...nuff said
    Idaho.Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Oldfartfighter,Still trying to get the other relays identified. Thanks for info on rear fill plug. That also is the speed sensor.When I got the unit my speedo did not work,so I noticed the connection back there was unplugged I plugged in and POOF the speedo worked.BMS unplugged it to keep miles off till they sold it.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the number of the spark plug you got for the Ranch Pony?Is it different then the number in the owners manual?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, i wondered what it was. The plug is a NGK #6 iridium one step hotter, and apparently better, mine cost about $6 bucks, worth it !!

32. Thanks bullpin451 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defintely worth the money, mine starts and idles better. (iridium #6)

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it just NGK 6 Iridium that I ask for?

Post Thanks / Like
    take your original plug and tell them you want an iridium to match but one step hotter. i'd tell you the exact part number but i dont have a ranch pony in front of me or a book. hopefully one of these guys can chime back in but if you do what i said they will get you the plug you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    The owners manual for the Ranch Pony calls for a CPR7EA-9 NGK

Post Thanks / Like
    ngk CPR6EB-9 but the problem is that has a solid cap on the plug. grudun what plug did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am pretty sure mine is solid also.Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    thats the one then.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Help, someone please tell me how to post a photo, i have them in a file just do not know how to post, guess i just ran out of brains ....

id. ron

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    bullpin, did you have to change the lead on the end of the plug wire to make it work with the solid top of the plug or ??
    found there are 2-3 different #6 iridium plug,s, guess the one i found had the serrated top, lucky i guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    the plug that is in it already has a solid top

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    strange, mine had the (threaded ) top ..still happy, did not use it for about 3 days , did hesitate for a moment today, but fired up and struggled for a few , then it started to run very slow...but, did ................runidaho..ron

Post Thanks / Like
    I put the iridium 6 in, no problem.I thre the box away so I dont have the exact number.

Post Thanks / Like
    This had a threaded top. It was 26 here this morning and mine statred without the choke. Took it a minute to warm up, but is definitely running better with the hotter plug.

Post Thanks / Like
    old fart fighter,
    when you send a reply at the bottom of the screen there is a button that says go advanced, when you open that there is a catergory for attachments. You can enter them there

Post Thanks / Like

Snapped bolt right from delivery

broken bolt 001.jpgThe spark arrestor top mounting bolt was broken when I got delivery from BSM
    Last edited by bullpin451; 02-12-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grudun..thanks for the info on the photo posts..will give it a try !

now to Bullpin, mine also was broken, so i tried to remove the other 2 and they broke also, used a 7/32 bit and drilled them out and re-threaded with 1/4-24 tap, very easy task, about 1/2 hour, applied never seize to threads. I also took the screen out of the thing (spark arrestor) will get in trouble with the Forrest CIRCUS as it is called it these parts, but it look to be to restrictive, saved it in case i get a ticket..

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info OFF will do same thing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bullpin451 View Post
    oil.jpgthis is the union bolt we talked about
    i'm coming up with nothing at this point!! i'm not admitting defeat tho! i'm going to go to napa sometime here and pull some more filters off the shelf and do some looking for recessed filter threads

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    kelley, keep up the diligent work, waiting for you EXPERT advise..

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't remember the part number but you can get an oil filter adaptor at napa that replaces the one that is on there and then the napa filters fit fine. A neighbor of mine did this about a year ago he said he got it at napa but doesn't remember what it was originally made for but it cost about $10

Post Thanks / Like
    Got bored today and tried some headlight changes. Made a mounting plate and a 9006 auto headlamp fit perfect and wired right in. Just got it out in the dark and the factory bulb was actually better. The reflector surface is not shaped to reflect that type bulb properly so the effect was not there.